Bachelor's degree in teaching primary or secondary students
- BA in Special Education, English as a Second language (ESL) or English as an Additional Language (EAL), Reading Specialist Certificate
- Relevant primary or secondary teaching experience.
- Experience working with diverse student groups, and with EAL needs.
This temporary (up to 50%) position is to act as a specialist to work in English as an Additional Language (EAL) and to teach language to students who have little or no English. The position will both lead and manage work with individuals and with groups of students from Grades 1 to 10.
The position will include the following areas of responsibility:
- Teaching and working with EAL students
- Team planning
- Documentation and liaison with parents
- Assessment and student monitoring of progress
- Teaching reading to beginning and struggling EAL learners
- Assist in improvement strategies for struggling EAL learners
- Conduct pre and post-testing using standardized tests in language acquisition
- Participate in the identification of students with possible EAL needs
- Collaborate with grade level and subject teachers
- Plans lessons that reflect accommodations and modifications for individual differences
- Employs a variety of instructional techniques incorporating current technology
- Differentiates instruction for EAL learners by employing a variety of instructional strategies.
Great career opportunities